Just two ingredients, ridiculously easy to make, and full of innumerable culinary benefits, this vegan cashew cream is every good cook’s secret weapon!
When I lived in India, my friend Usha taught me some of the secrets of her amazing cooking. Chief among them was this – cashew cream.
It’s the key to giving curries an amazingly creamy consistency, plus a hint of sweetness, without having to add any dairy, extra oil, or sugar. It really is a little miracle!
- creamy (duh!)
- free from added sugar
- free from added fat
- totally deelish!
I add cashew cream to some of my vegan cheese recipes – again, it adds a lovely creamy richness. It’s also great when blended with a couple of frozen bananas, for a banana-cashew ice cream, and is pretty darn fab in smoothies too.
It goes without saying that it’s sooo good straight out of the pot.
Have you ever made cashew cream? What do you use it for?
How To Make Cashew Cream
- 200 g organic raw Fairtrade cashews
- 250 ml hot water
- Place the cashews and the water into a saucepan, bring to the boil, and continue to cook for 20 minutes (make sure the cashews don't boil dry).
- Once soft, switch off the heat, and allow to cool for five mins or so.
- Use in your favourite cream recipes.
- Kept in an airtight container, cashew cream will keep in the 'fridge for a couple of weeks.
- 1 cup = US cup = 240 ml
- 1 tbsp = US/UK = 15 ml
- 1 fl oz = US = 30 ml