My simple, 4-ingredient vegan salted caramel sauce is the perfect accompaniment to ice cream, puddings, sundaes, cakes, cookies, and fruit crumbles.
Simple 4-ingredient vegan salted caramel sauce
- totally delicious
- and only 22 calories per teaspoon!
A teaspoon straight out of the jar (yes, it is thick enough to spoon out when it's cool!), is perfect when you have that urge for something sweet. C'mon, I know I'm not the only one!
Plus, it goes really well with:
How to make vegan salted caramel sauce
- white sugar
- vegan butter
- full-fat coconut milk
- sea salt
Place the sugar in a heavy-based pan.
Melt over a low heat, stirring all the time.
Do not inhale the vapour. Don’t ask me how I know. :-/
Don’t let it burn!
It should take around 15 minutes to get to this stage.
Add the vegan butter/margarine, and stir well until it has melted. You will notice that the butter/marg has a lot of water, don’t worry, it will incorporate.
(Yeah, I know it looks like the Quatermass Experiment.)
Slowly pour in the coconut milk, whisking all the time. Don’t get spattered by hot caramel sauce!
Continue to whisk until the butter/marg and milk have completely incorporated.
Let the sauce boil for a minute or so, until it has thickened.
Remove from the heat, and stir in the sea salt. Pour into a sterilised jar or bottle.
Simple 4-Ingredient Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce
- 200 g white sugar
- 100 g vegan butter or margarine
- 120 ml full-fat coconut milk (full-fat)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Melt the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a low heat, stirring all the time – it should take around 15 minutes. Don't let it burn!
- Once the sugar has melted, add the vegan butter/margarine, and stir well until it too has melted.
- Slowly pour in the coconut milk, whisking all the time. Continue to whisk until the butter/marg and milk have completely incorporated.
- Let the sauce boil for a minute or so, until it has thickened.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the sea salt.
- Pour into a sterilised jar or bottle, seal, let cool, then store in the ‘fridge.
- The caramel sauce will keep for up to a month. Unless you nom it all first!
- 1 cup = US cup = 240 ml
- 1 tbsp = US/UK = 15 ml
- 1 fl oz = US = 30 ml